Sunday, January 22, 2012

jamais vu by Monique O'Connor James

I don't really know what to think about this one.  It took me a long while to get through it.  I found myself walking away from it to think about what was happening.  I found I didn't forget a single part of it.  Once I'd read it that was it.  I didn't need to go over it again.  It was as if I'd read it before. Jamais vu perhaps.  I was at first irritated because it seemed the star character an attractive young girl named Darby was already dead.  Then she wasn't, but then there was a whole lot of phycho babble trying to make sense of everything that was happening.  It was an excellent argument for taking gun safety seriously.  There's a boy she shouldn't be seeing. A looser who's too critical of her and fancie's her sister instead.  She falls for a pill popping, motorcycle riding, singer in a band named Kasey.  She has feelings for his possibly evil friend named Matt.  She's at odds with her family over what happened to her.  And, then she discovers she has the power to change it all.  All she's seen, and experienced.  All that wasn't right.  She could simply fix it.  All of this happening while discussing it with her shrink. It's as if your inside the head of a teenage girl arguing with herself over the great questions of life.  Is there GOD?  Is there good and evil?  Is there anything I can do about it either way?  What do I have to do with anything? Where do I fit in? Ect, ect, ect...  It was interesting from the start.  It held my interest.  I kept reading.  It's a story with a complexity of many characters with many story lines interwoven.  It was done very well.  In the end I liked it.  I may have been bored, but then again for any guy who likes Die Hard movies just reading a book with female phycho analysis is a feat.   It may have seemed dry, and I may have been uninterested in it at times, but in the end I really, really liked it. The author has brought forth what all of us eventually ask ourselves.  What we all struggle with.  And, some of the experiences perhaps more than a few of us have seen, and gone through.    It was brilliant.  This is one you should definitely buy, and quietly enjoy in your favorite reading place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment